Maryland State Remediation Site Information
Information provided below identifies State Remediation Sites where the Land Restoration Program is expending State funds to correct issues associated with environmental contamination.
State Remediation Sites
Anacostia River PCB Track-Down Studies
Chemical Metals Industries Site (MD-082)
Dark Head Cove
Frog Mortar Creek
Former Alcoa Eastalco Works
The Maryland Department of the Environment has assessed the results of sampling of Tuscarora Creek, creek sediments and source water that was discharged from the site to the creek and has found no adverse impacts to public health and the environment.
Based on the analytical results within the creek and creek sediments adverse impacts to public health and the environment were not identified and creek water and sediments did not demonstrate adverse impacts from the illicit discharge. Water samples originating from the source area of the illicit discharge also did not demonstrate impacts from previous Alcoa industrial activities. The groundwater results from the source area did not identify contaminants of concern that would be anticipated to impact surface water quality. Metals indicative of native soils and local geologic conditions were identified in the environmental media tested and do not represent potential contaminant sources of concern. At this time warning signs from the creek can be removed.
Background: On May 23, 2023, MDE's Land Restoration Program was made aware of potential illicit water discharges to Tuscarora Creek, a tributary of the Potomac River, in Frederick County. The party responsible for the discharge, Quantum Maryland LLC, which is redeveloping the Former Alcoa Eastalco Works at 5601 Manor Road, Frederick, was instructed by MDE's Water and Science Administration on May 22, 2023, to cease all discharges and site development activities. Employing an abundance of caution on May 26, 2023, Quantum Maryland LLC was instructed to post warning signs along the creek and to sample the creek, sediments and source water that was discharged to the creek. MDE has received and assessed the results of the sampling conducted on June 6 and 7, 2023. These results, and additional information on the site, can be found on the Land Restoration Program webpage under the Former East Alcoa Works heading. https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/land/MarylandBrownfieldVCP/Pages/remediationsites.aspx
- Water and Science Administration letter regarding Quantum Frederick's 20CP Notice of Intents (NOIs)
- Draft Limited EMP Manhole MH-3, dated Nov. 1, 2023 (under review and not approved)
- QL partial withdrawal letter from CHS Oversight, dated Sept. 26, 2023
- Construction Soil Movement and Mass Grading Summary (Nov. 2022-May 2023)
- Site Stabilization Work Plan Completion Report, dated September 18, 2023
- Site Stabilization Work Plan, dated June 30, 2023
- Soil Disposition Memorandum, dated June 30, 2023
- Pressure Gauge Installation Work Plan, dated June 23, 2023
- Quantum Loophole Response to Information Request-Land Use Controls Cover Letter, date June 21, 2023
- Quantum Maryland Environmental Management Plan, dated June 28, 2023
- MDE withdrawal of conditional Environmental Management Plan ("EMP") for Quantum Maryland LLC ("Quantum Loophole"), dated May 25, 2023
- Surface Water Analysis Summary Sampling Table 1
- Sediment Water Analysis Summary Sampling Table
- June 7, 2023 Laboratory Surface Water and Sediment Analytical Report
- June 6, 2023 Laboratory Surface Water and Sediment Analytical Report
- May 30, 2023 Laboratory Surface Water and Sediment Analytical Report
- Sample Location Map
- Sewer Line 1A Map
- Construction and dewatering activities ceased on May 22, 2023
- Groundwater and Surface Water Annual report
- North Industrial Landfill
- Semiannual Water Quality Report (June 2023)
- Second 2022 Semiannual Groundwater Monitoring Report Memo, dated Jan. 13, 2023
- Semiannual Water Quality Report (Dec. 2022)
- South Industrial Landfill
Former Weber Farms
Manor Road Well Contamination Site
Martin State Airport/Middle River Complex
Montgomery Brothers Dumpsite
Takoma Park Shopping Center Off-Site Investigation
The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry maintains fact sheets on Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) and Trichloroethylene (TCE). For more information please access the above links.
Controlled Hazardous Substance Notification Regulations
Please see "LRP News and Resources" for more recent information.
For more information please contact the Controlled Hazardous Substance Enforcement Division at 410-537-3493.