Things You Can Do To Protect Maryland's Water Quality
Citizens' Tips for Keeping a Clean Environment
Water Conservation Tips
- Report any dumping of inappropriate materials into storm water drains (such as oil, antifreeze); and construction sites over 5 acres that do not have erosion or sediment controls, to your local municipal officials.
- Use good housekeeping practices with lawn care chemicals, oil, gasoline, pet wastes, etc.
- Help to start or participate in programs to recycle and safely dispose of used oils and household hazardous wastes and containers.
- Tell others about pollution runoff and storm water runoff and what they can do to help.
- Plant trees, shrubs and ground cover to protect bare soil and reduce runoff.
- Create a "rain garden" to keep rain water in your yard to replenish plants.
- Try composting to recycle yard wastes and reduce fertilizer use.
- Find alternatives to the chemicals you use on your lawn.