Tips for Ensuring Safe Harvesting of Fish and Shellfish
Citizens' Tips for Keeping a Clean Environment
Water Conservation Tips
- Properly dispose of old pesticides (chlordane, DDT, etc.) (410-537-3000).
- Report leaking transformers.
- Maintain routine maintenance of transportation vehicles.
- Properly dispose of thermometers (410-537-3000).
- Become knowledgeable and practice Department recommendations and guidance regarding advisories on the consumption of fish, crabs and shellfish in Maryland's waterways.
- If property is waterfront, consider adding riparian buffer zones to minimize runoff of excessive pesticides and nutrients.
- Keep a routine maintenance schedule for your septic system.
- Clean up after your pets and dispose of pet waste properly.
- Consider the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries a seafood source and do not dump chemicals, soaps, pet waste, etc. down the storm drains.
- Report incidents of fish kills (Normal work hours: 1-800-285-8195; after hours: 1-877-224-7229 or 1-866-633-4686).