Oil Transportation Licenses and Permits

Oil Transfer Licenses


Any person who transfers any volume of non-edible oils into Maryland requires an Oil Transfer License.  The licensee must submit quarterly reports indicating the volume and method of oil transferred into the State.  A fee per barrel of oil transferred into the State is assessed at the first point of transfer and paid quarterly.  Funds received as oil transfer fees are used to fund the State's oil control and spill response activities.  For more detailed information consult Code of Maryland Regulations COMAR


Oil Operations Permits for Oil Transporting and/or Transferring


A person transporting or transferring oil in Maryland must obtain an oil operations permit if:  oil delivery is by truck tank or by transport (greater than 500 gallons) to or from any point within the State; oil is transferred in an onshore facility to or from any truck tank, transport, or tank car; or oil delivery operations are from out-of-State facilities that deliver oil to any point within the State.  For more detailed information consult COMAR, COMAR, COMAR, and COMAR


Return to the Oil Control Program Home Page


For Further Information

Oil Control Program

(410) 537-3442; (800) 633-6101 x3442

To Report Oil Spills Call (Available 24 hours a day)


Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information