The Maryland Department of the Environment's Lead Rental Registry mission is to protect families and prevent childhood poisoning from the exposure of lead by ensuring Property Owners register affected properties in compliance with the Maryland State Lead Laws.
Who Needs to Register?
- Residential rental properties built before 1978 are required to be registered and then renewed annually with Maryland Department of the Environment.
- Residential rental properties built after 1977 and properties that have a passing Lead Free inspection certificate are exempt.
- On or after January 1, 2015, all properties built prior to 1978 must have a new lead inspection certificate at each change of occupancy.
How Do I Renew My Registration?
There are two ways to renew properties in the lead rental registry: This can be done either online or via a paper form.
- MDE strongly encourages owners to renew online.
- As of the 2022 renewal cycle, MDE is mailing a reminder postcard but not mailing printed renewal forms automatically to all owners.
- If you wish to receive a printed renewal form instead of renewing online, please contact the Lead Rental Registry Section by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of the email, type “Paper Renewal”, in the body type the 7 digit tracking number and the address to be mailed to. You may also call the Lead Rental Registration Hotline at 1-800-776-2706 (in-state) or (410) 537-4199 to request a form.
How Do I Register My Rental Property?
There are two ways to register properties in the lead rental registry: This can be done either online or via a paper form.
- You may only use the Downloadable Form if you:
- Have a Tracking Number and are registering for the first time or
- Have a Tracking Number and are adding another property under the exact same ownership.
- Your Tracking Number is to be filled out in the space provided on the form before mailing it in.
- Do not use the Downloadable Form if you:
- Are trying to renew registration for a property you already have registered under the current owner(s) or
- Want to update and/or pay for a property you already have registered under the current owners.
- You are to use the Lead Rental Property Registration and Renewal Online System or the preprinted Renewal form MDE has mailed or will mail to you.
How Much Does It Cost to Register?
The registration fees are currently $30 per unit.
When Do I Need to Register and Renew My Registration?
- A complete change in ownership requires a new registration and a new tracking number. This includes adding owners or changing to a corporation, etc.
- Registration is specific to ownership of a property(ies) and should match exactly what is on record with Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. Any different combination of ownership for a participating property will require an adjustment to the Lead Rental Registration file.
- If you are registering online between October 1st and December 31st you may immediately Renew that property(ies) after completing the initial Registration for it.
- No matter how late in a calendar year you register a property(ies), State law requires you to renew that property(ies) for the following year on or before December 31st of that same calendar year.
How Often Do I Need to Renew My Registration?
Maryland (State) Lead Rental Property Renewal with fee is due by December 31st of each year.
How Do I Find My Tracking Number?
- Check for emails you have received from email@example.com, as these may include your tracking number.
- Check the renewal forms or reminder postcards you have received from MDE Lead Rental Registry.
- Look up your property on the Rental Registry Property Search (left menu). Make note of the tracking number that matches your ownership name.
- Contact the Lead Rental Registry Section at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706. Please provide the name of the person or company that owns the property for which you need the tracking number
How Do I Get a Copy of My Renewal Form?
To get a copy of your Renewal Form please call: 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706.
Do I Need to Register With Anyone Else?
- Be Aware that some counties & Baltimore City also charge a registration fee for rental properties. This State registration/renewal fee is not collected through the county, town or city.
- Keep a copy of all completed forms for your records: Pursuant to new laws, information from your registration and inspection certificate will be needed in order to register a property with a local government, access rent court, or be eligible for Section 8 funding.
What If I Have Multiple Tracking Numbers?
Please contact a member of the Lead Rental Registry at 1-800-776-2706 (in state) or 410-537-4199 if you have questions regarding consolidating multiple tracking numbers. Each property owner should have only one tracking number.
What If I Have Registered Properties That Don’t Appear in the Renewal List?
Please call the Lead Rental Registry at 1-800-776-2706 (in state) or 410-537-4199, you may not be in compliance with Maryland laws.
For more information, please email your questions to email@example.com. or contact 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706. You may experience very high call volumes when calling. To assist with faster processing of your questions, please have the following information available if you have it: your name, MDE tracking number, call back number and email address, and your question. You will either receive an email or a call to further discuss your situation.