Application and Approval Process
- Submit completed application form for a certificate and the application fee to the Board of Waterworks and Waste Systems Operators.
- Pass necessary certification examination(s).
- Complete experience and education requirements.
- Submit a completed application for full certification and the application fee to the Board.
- Examination applications must be submitted at least three weeks before the date of the examination.
PRE-APPROVAL: a minimum of a high school education and six months to three years of related work experience (varies according to the specific work certification) and passing the appropriate written examination.
POST-APPROVAL: The triennial renewal requires completion of a specified number of hours of Board approved training (see COMAR 26.06.01.13). There are additional education, experience, and examination requirements for superintendent certification. The Department should be contacted for the details.
Link to WWOA (Water and Waste Operators Association) and CWEA (Chesapeake Water Environment Association) The website lists board member contacts, board meeting dates, exam dates, MD certification publications, training list information, and application forms.
Click here to returen to Board of Waterworks and Waste Systems Operators main page
For More Information
Please contact the Water Supply Program at WATER.SUPPLY@maryland.gov or 410-537-3702