Oil Transportation Licenses and Permits

Oil Transfer Licenses

Any person who transfers any volume of non-edible oils into Maryland requires an Oil Transfer License.  The licensee must submit quarterly reports indicating the volume and method of oil transferred into the State.  A fee per barrel of oil transferred into the State is assessed at the first point of transfer and paid quarterly.  Funds received as oil transfer fees are used to fund the State's oil control and spill response activities.  For more detailed information consult Code of Maryland Regulations COMAR

Oil Operations Permits for Oil Transporting and/or Transferring

A person transporting or transferring oil in Maryland must obtain an oil operations permit if:  oil delivery is by truck tank or by transport (greater than 500 gallons) to or from any point within the State; oil is transferred in an onshore facility to or from any truck tank, transport, or tank car; or oil delivery operations are from out-of-State facilities that deliver oil to any point within the State.  For more detailed information consult COMAR, COMAR, COMAR, and COMAR

Return to the Oil Control Program Home Page

For Further Information

Oil Control Program

(410) 537-3442; (800) 633-6101 x3442

To Report Oil Spills Call (Available 24 hours a day)