State Board of On-Site Wastewater Professionals

Formation and Purpose

During the 2022 Legislative Session, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation establishing the State Board of On-Site Wastewater Professionals under Title 9, Subtitle 11A of the Environment Article. Effective as of December 31, 2022 the law requires any individual who provides an on-site wastewater (septic) service to be licensed by the Board of On-Site Wastewater Professionals for the purpose of safeguarding the life, health, property, environment, and public welfare of the residents of the state. An on-site wastewater service is any activity associated with the design, installation, operation and maintenance, p​umping, repair, or property transfer inspection of an on-site wastewater disposal system (OSDS).

The Board is responsible for licensing the individuals that work in the septics field. This includes setting licensure and certification procedures, definitions, qualifications, and continuing education requirements for designers, installers, pumpers, inspectors, operational and maintenance (O&M) providers, and any other categories associated with the onsite disposal of wastewater. Licensing is independent from the business or company that the individual works for. Licensing is not required for any individual performing duties for a Federal, State, or local agency.​

​​Current Registration Requirements​​​

​Until the Board implements its new licensing requirements and procedures,  §9-11A-15 requires any individual who provides on-site wastewater services in Maryland to register with the Board. Registration is valid for a 2-year period. The Department maintains a list of individuals who are registered to perform on-site wastewater disposal services, which local permitting authorities reference for compliance. 2022 Registration Notice​.

To register, submit the application form below with the $150.00 registration fee to:

Maryland Department of the Environment
P.O. Box 2057
Baltimore, Md 21203

​Application Form 

List of professionals registered to perform on-site wastewater disposal services​

Information for Property Transfer Inspection (PTI) of On-Site Disposal Systems 

COMAR 26.04.12 has set by regulation that anyone engaging in the inspection of an on-site sewage disposal system for property transfer inspections must be licensed by the Department. To obtain a license an individual must submit a completed application provided by the Department, pay a $150 application fee, and either (a) provides a certificate of completion of a Department-approved training course; or (b) As of July 1, 2022, is identified on MDE’s list of individuals who have completed a Department-approved on-site inspection course for property transfer inspections. (Found Here) The on-site wastewater property transfer inspection license will be valid for a 2-year period. Obtaining a PTI license fulfills the above Board registration requirement; only one $150 fee is required per renewal period.

Each inspection of an on-site sewage disposal system must include a completed standard inspection form provided by the Department. The licensee shall retain all records of property transfer inspections for a period of 5 years and provide copies of these records to the Department upon request. Failure to follow these regulations may result in the suspension or revocation of a PTI license.

Standard Inspection form (MS Excel)

Guidance Document for Inspection Form​

 Individuals ​licensed for property transfer inspection can be found on this list​

​Board Meeting Information

The Board generally meets every ______ of the month at __:00 am (Pending schedule approval)

Meetings are held virtually through Google Meet unless otherwise noted​

Public notice and agenda of each Board meeting is posted ​approximately​ two weeks before the meeting so that members of the public can plan to attend.

Board Meeting Schedule, Agendas, and Minutes

Board Meeting Rules 

Contact the Board

​For any inquiries, please e-mail the Board's staff at OWWP.Board@Maryland.gov

Members of the Onsite Wastewater Professionals Board Found Here

The term of a voting member is 3 years. A voting member may serve two consecutive terms. At the end of a term, a member may continue to serve until a successor is seated.

​​​Training and Certification Resources

​     MDE On-site Systems Division Certification Courses

Information on certification courses offered by MDE's On-Site Systems Division.

Current courses offered are​:

  • ​Sand Mound Systems Installation 
  • At-Grade Mound Systems Installation
  • BAT Systems Installation​

    Third Party Training Re​sources

Other Resources

​Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my application was received by the Department?

The Department will send a confirmation letter to the applicant and will list the applicant’s name and contact information on the website.​


If I register as a pumper/hauler does this mean I can’t install septic systems or do I need to pay two (2) fees?

You need to pay one registration fee which registers you regardless of how many different  septic services you provide (pumper, installer, operations and maintenance, etc.). Your registration will not identify you in any particular category, only as someone who can provide services for an on-site wastewater system. The law assigns the duty to categorize individuals to the Board. 


Can I continue to get septic permits?

The local approving authority will verify individuals are registered prior to issuing any septic construction permits. 


Who can I call with questions?

You send questions, concerns or comments to OWWP.Board@Maryland.gov or you can call our office at 410-537-3778.


Do all of my employees need to be registered?

Any employee who acts as a primary lead in providing on-site wastewater services (including on a job site) must register and pay the registration fee. Additional laborers or helpers (diggers, people who move materials, etc.) do not have to register or pay the registration fee.  


I am a plumber that works inside the structure but sometimes replaces the supply line within ten (10) feet of the building. Do I need to register?

No, this is covered under your plumbing license.  However if you do additional work to a system, such as replace drainfield lines or install grease traps outside the structure, then you would need to be registered.  ​


I am a licensed engineer that designs septic systems, do I need to register?



My employee that I paid for and registered quit after two months. Can I get a refund?

No, the registration fee covers individuals, not a business.


Does the registration require proof of insurance?

No, this is solely for registration, not a license. Once the Board and regulations are established, additional requirements may be imposed. 


The county I do most of my business in has a septic license fee and a septage hauler license fee annually. Do I still have to get these licenses and pay these fees?

Yes, the State law and regulations do not override any county or local requirements. ​

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information