History, Charge and Term
The Air Quality Control Advisory Council (AQCAC) was established pursuant to the Annotated Code of Maryland, § 2-201 et seq. in 1967. The duties of the Council include:
- Reviewing and advising the Department on draft air quality rules and regulations which are being considered for adoption in order to achieve air quality and public health goals and protect the environment, and
- Evaluating, as requested by the Department, state-level measures to meet air quality standards, legislation proposed by the General Assembly or the Department and strategic plans created by the Department's Air and Radiation Management Administration.
AQCAC gives the Department its advice on proposals by recommending adoption, rejection or modification of the draft regulations or other matters brought before it.
The Council consists of 15 members appointed by the Secretary of the Department. Members include representatives from industry, labor, professional associations, local and regional government organizations, academia, farming, the medical community and the general public.
Member terms are for 5 years. At the end of term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies. A member appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce (Public Utility) - John Quinn,
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers - John Kumm, PE,
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Lawrence J. ("Larry") Schoen, PE
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce (Manufacturing Industry) - Todd Chason, Esq
- MD/DC AFL-CIO - Thomas Killeen
- University of Maryland - Ross Salawitch, PhD
- Johns Hopkins University - Benjamin F. Hobbs, PhD
- Physician - Sania Amr, M.D.
- Children’s Environmental Health and Protection Advisory Council (CEHPAC) - Megan Latshaw, PhD
- Maryland Association of Counties - Weston Young, PE
- Regional Planning Council (BMC) - Anna Marshall
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) - Tom Dernoga, JD
- Farming - Nicole Cook, JD
- General Public - Adrienne Hollis, PhD, JD
- General Public - Robert Wright, PhD, PE (ret)
Meeting Minutes & Materials
Meeting Minutes & Materials
The Council meets periodically at the Department's headquarters in Baltimore. Meetings are usually scheduled in the morning. These Council meetings are open to the public for participation.
2022 Meeting Dates
Due to the current status of COVID-19, all AQCAC meetings will be held virtually until further notice.
October 24, 2022
December 12, 2022
Randy Mosier, Maryland Department of the Environment, Air and Radiation Management Administration, 1800 Washington Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21230 1720,
410-537-4488 toll-free in Maryland
(800) 633-6101 ext. 4488