Maryland's Water Reuse Progress by Use Category
Treated Wastewater Effluent Reuse Status in 2017
(millions of gallons per day)
Distribution of Water Reuse in Maryland
Beneficial Progress Indicators
In addition to direct measures of reuse, the benefits of reuse can be evaluated. Some of these benefits are estimated below as of 2017.
- Nitrogen Load to the Chesapeake Bay Avoided per year: 1,400,000 lbs/Year
- Phosphorus Load to the Chesapeake Bay Avoided per year: 400,000 lbs/Year
- Freshwater Withdrawals Avoided per day*: 9,000,000 Million Gallons/Day
- Farmland and Golf Courses Irrigated per year: 1,600 acres/Year
* This is a tiny amount compared to the statewide freshwater withdrawal of about 1.5 billion gallons/day; however, it can have significant benefits in water scarce locales, particularly in times of drought.
Up Next: Water Reuse Success Stories
The next section highlights several water reuse achievements in Maryland. The experiences gained help smooth the path forward for others interested in water reuse.
See Maryland's Maryland water reuse success stories webpage. (Next Page)
Please direct questions or comments to Jim George.