Nomination period for this award is closed.
About the Award
The SGG Award for Innovation in Stormwater Management recognizes groups, organizations, county and municipal governments and projects that have fostered the creation of new approaches to address the impact of stormwater runoff pollution in Maryland.
Stormwater runoff is surface water that flows off roofs and pavement after a storm. When the ground fails to soak in the runoff, it channels pollutants such as pesticides, sediment, bacteria, pet waste and trash into our waterways. Stormwater management practices help control pollution through the use of nonstructural and/or structural techniques that intercept runoff from developed areas, filter and treat the runoff and discharge it a controlled rate.
MDE will consider activities or projects that:
- Demonstrate the effectiveness of new and innovative technologies.
- Increase public awareness of stormwater impacts.
- Encourage the use of approaches such as Environmental Site Design or Low Impact Development.
- Highlight efforts to restore Maryland’s streams, watershed and water quality.
Congratulations to the Parks and People Foundation winner of the 2013 Smart, Green & Growing Award for Innovation in Stormwater Management. The entities were honored at the 3rd annual Smart, Green & Growing Clean Water Innovations Trade Show for a project that reduced stormwater runoff through multiple best management practices at the New Broadway East Community Park in Baltimore City.
- 2012 - MPA, MES and Baltimore City Public Schools, Polytechnic Institute Parking Lot Stormwater Retrofit
- 2011 - City of Rockville, College Gardens Park
- 2011 - Town of Edmonston, Green Streets Project
- 2010 - Back Creek Nature Park, Stormwater Educational Experience
- 2010 - Montpelier Mansion Low Impact Development
- 2010 - Severn River Keepers, Clements Creek Stormwater Restoration
- 2010 - Livable Communities Initiative
For information on the Smart, Green & Growing Award for Innovation in Stormwater Management contact Adrienne Diaczok by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.