AFO Permit Reissuance and Regulation Changes
AFO Permit Reissuance
The Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) is issuing a new 5-year General Discharge Permit for Animal Feeding Operations (AFO Permit). The 2014 AFO Permit expired on November 30, 2019. The
new (19AF) AFO Permit will be effective beginning July 8, 2020.
A) Effective date of permit: July 8, 2020.
B) Notice of Final Determination:
- Published in Salisbury Daily Times on July 1 and July 8
- Published in Frederick News Post on July 1 and July 8
- Published in Delmarva Farms on July 7 and July 14
- Published in Queen Anne's Record Observer on July 10 and July 17
- Published in Maryland Register on July 6
MDE is proposing AFO regulations that would affect any CAFO that intends to apply for new or continued coverage under a discharge permit for AFOs. The Notice of Proposed Action was published in Volume 46, Issue 20 of the Maryland Register on September 27, 2019.
If you have any questions about the 19AF AFO Permit or the Proposed AFO Regulations, please contact the AFO Division at (410) 537-3314.