On-Site Systems - Wastewater Service Professionals

Registration for Individuals Providing On-site Wastewater Service in Maryland

During the 2022 Legislative Session, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation establishing the State Board of On-Site Wastewater Professionals (Board) under Title 9, Subtitle 11A of the Environment Article. The law requires an individual who provides an on-site wastewater service to be licensed by the Board. An on-site wastewater service is any activity associated with the design, installation, operation and maintenance, pumping, repair or property transfer inspection of an on-site wastewater system.  


Until the Board is created,  §9-11A-15 requires any individual who provides on-site wastewater services in the State to pay a $150 registration fee by December 31, 2022, in order to continue providing these services. This $150 registration fee must be paid every 2 years thereafter until the Board is seated and sets its own licensing requirements and fees. Note that property transfer inspectors who inspect on-site sewage disposal systems are already subject to a $150 licensing fee through legislation passed in 2021 and do not have to pay this $150 registration fee if they have previously paid that $150 licensing fee.


The Maryland Department of the Environment (the Department) will publish on their website the list of Registered Individuals for On-Site Wastewater Services on January 1, 2023. Licensed property transfer inspectors will automatically be listed, without the need to submit a new application.  


In order to provide on-site wastewater services you must complete an applic​ation and mail the application and $150 registration fee to: 


Maryland Department to the Environment

P.O. Box 2057

Baltimore, MD 21203


Upon receipt of an application and payment,  the Department will send a confirmation letter to the applicant and will list their name and business contact information on the website. 

Forms and Documents

Contact Info

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, or you would like more information, please contact the On-Site Systems Division via email at onsitewastewater.mde@maryland.gov.  


Frequently asked questions:

How do I know if my application was received by the Department?

The Department will send a confirmation letter to the applicant and will list the applicant’s name and contact information on the website.​


If I register as a pumper/hauler does this mean I can’t install septic systems or do I need to pay two (2) fees?

You need to pay one registration fee which registers you regardless of how many different  septic services you provide (pumper, installer, operations and maintenance, etc.). Your registration will not identify you in any particular category, only as someone who can provide services for an on-site wastewater system. The law assigns the duty to categorize individuals to the Board. 


Can I continue to get septic permits?

The local approving authority will verify individuals are registered prior to issuing any septic construction permits. 


Who can I call with questions?

You send questions, concerns or comments to this email or you can call our office at 410-537-3778.


Do all of my employees need to be registered?

Any employee who acts as a primary lead in providing on-site wastewater services (including on a job site) must register and pay the registration fee. Additional laborers or helpers (diggers, people who move materials, etc.) do not have to register or pay the registration fee.  


I am a plumber that works inside the structure but sometimes replaces the supply line within ten (10) feet of the building. Do I need to register?

No, this is covered under your plumbing license.  However if you do additional work to a system, such as replace drainfield lines or install grease traps outside the structure, then you would need to be registered.  


I am a licensed engineer that designs septic systems, do I need to register?



My employee that I paid for and registered quit after two months. Can I get a refund?

No, the registration fee covers individuals, not a business.


Does the registration require proof of insurance?

No, this is solely for registration, not a license. Once the Board and regulations are established, additional requirements may be imposed. 


The county I do most of my business in has a septic license fee and a septage hauler license fee annually. Do I still have to get these licenses and pay these fees?

Yes, the State law and regulations do not override any county or local requirements.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information