emde logo 

List of State Officials - Martin O'Malley, Governor; Anthony Brown, Lt. Governor; Robert Summers, Acting MDE Secretary 

Volume IV, Number 8​

December 2010

eMDE is a bi-monthly publication of the Maryland Department of the Environment. It covers articles on current environmental issues and events in the state. 

Wetland scene in the evening 

A Hybrid Bus 

Kids in a Lead Event 

Join the eMDE Mailing List 

Featured Articles

Maryland Exceeds Annual Waste Diversion Goal

Maryland diverted nearly 43 percent of the waste we generated from landfills and incinerators last year, meeting the requirements of the state Recycling Act – and, for the fifth straight year, exceeding Maryland’s voluntary recycling and waste diversion goal. Maryland recycled 39.4 percent of its waste and earned a 3.5 percent credit for reducing the amount of waste generated, for a total of 42.9 percent. Consumption is down, due to the economy, and so was the rate of waste generation. More >

Shari T. Wilson, “Admiral” of the Chesapeake, steps down as MDE Secretary; Dr. Robert M. Summers Named Acting Secretary

Secretary Shari T. Wilson stepped down after serving a full term as the top official in the Maryland Department of the Environment. Dr. Robert M. Summers, who had been Deputy Secretary of the agency, was named Acting Secretary. More >

All Aboard with New Train Technology and Cleaner Air

A newly retooled CSX locomotive will significantly reduce emissions of air pollutants in the Baltimore area. More >

Give the Earth a Holiday Present

As you gather with your family and friends to celebrate the holidays, you can give the Earth a present too. Take these simple steps for a greener holiday season. More >

Summer of 2010 Was a Record Breaker – But Not for Unhealthy Air Days

Residents of Maryland will undoubtedly remember 2010 as a record breaker when it comes to the weather. In the winter, snowfall wasn’t measured by the inch but by the foot. During the summer, the official weather station at Thurgood Marshall BWI Airport recorded a record-breaking 59 days when the temperature equaled or exceeded 90 degrees. More >

Permitting for Greenhouse Gases Kicks off in 2011

The reduction of green house gas emission through permitting is scheduled to begin in the new year – meaning that new coal-fired power plants and other facilities could be required to consider ways to reduce their carbon footprint. More >

Gator Made from Cans Earns Top Prize at MDE “Rethink Recycling” Sculpture Contest 

Flattened Coca-Cola cans lined the mouth. Shards of broken CDs made for teeth. But it was the reptile’s hide – scales of gleaming, Mountain Dew green – that really grabbed the eye. More >

University Students Find Cost, Energy Savings for Two Maryland Manufacturers

Two university engineering students who interned this summer at Maryland manufacturers identified more than $400,000 in annual savings through energy conservation and other efficiency measures. More >

Pollution Prevention Technical Assistance for Maryland Businesses 

Lower your operating costs and increase your competitive edge! More >

Dwyer Property Proposed for Superfund List

A Cecil County property that was used to make fireworks and World War II munitions has been proposed for the Superfund National Priorities List. More >

Joint Base Andrews: Accomplishing the Mission While Protecting High-Quality Waters

Last spring, the U.S. Air Force awarded an $81 million contract for critical repairs of the West Runway at Joint Base Andrews located in Prince George’s County. The goal was to completely replace the failing 50-year-old infrastructure, which had significantly exceeded its anticipated 25-year lifespan. More >

Maryland Hospitals Honored for “Environmental Excellence”

An Anne Arundel County hospital that built a “green” tower and two other facilities that developed programs to dispose of pharmaceutical waste are among the winners of Maryland Hospitals for a Healthy Environment’s 2010 Trailblazer Awards. More >

Spotlight on Staff: Meet John Grace

John Grace is the Chief of the Source Protection and Appropriations Division of the Water Supply Program, Water Management Administration (WMA). His major responsibilities are implementing the water appropriation and use permitting program, assuring that communities have adequate water supply capacity, and helping communities protect and improve the quality of their water. John has just completed his 25th year with the WMA. More >


©2010 Copyright MDE

Editorial Board
Maryland Department of the Environment
1800 Washington Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21230