ANNAPOLIS, MD (February 27, 2002) – Governor Parris N. Glendening today announced Board of Public Works approval of a $100,000 grant increase for Charles County to continue work to replace a portion of the existing county water distribution system.
“Improving the quality of service and the quality of life for every Marylander remains a top priority,” said Governor Glendening. “This grant will help alleviate water shortages and outages by providing Quiet Acres residents with a water system that has constant pressure, reliability and is maintained and operated by the county.”
The project upgrade to Charles County’s existing water distribution system includes the construction of a water distribution system connection for the Quiet Acres community to the existing adjacent county water system in two places.
City officials are hoping this grant from the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) will allow them to abandon and eventually demolish the existing Quiet Acres system.
“This project is a classic example of how MDE can help a community solve a water problem,” said Murry D. Levy, president of the Charles County Commissioners. “The financial support provided by MDE will make it possible for this community to have a chlorinated, upgraded, water system with a back up water supply.”
The total cost of the project is $355,500 of which $75,500 is the local share. MDE previously awarded Charles County an $180,000 grant for this project. Construction on the upgrade began in March and is slated for completion by June 2002.