BALTIMORE, MD (October 24, 2003) – The first meeting of the Advisory Committee on the Management and Protection of the State’s Water Resources is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 27 at the Maryland Department of the Environment headquarters in Montgomery Park, located at 1800 Washington Boulevard.
Governor Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr. has appointed Dr. M. Gordon “Reds” Wolman as chairman of the committee. Wolman, formerly chairman of the Department of Geography and Environmental Science at The Johns Hopkins University, is a nationally recognized expert on water issues.
The 21-member committee will make recommendations on the management, development, conservation and protection of the state’s water resources in years to come. The deadline for their report to Governor Ehrlich is May 31, 2004.
“The recent drought reinforced the importance of managing Maryland water resources,” the governor said. “This committee’s work will help us balance the need for growth with the need for reliable sources of water and ensure that we protect our water resources.”
Acting Secretary of the Environment Kendl P. Philbrick, whose department will provide staff and technical support to the committee, said, “The committee will also address the issue of water in the local planning process, which will be invaluable to counties and communities as they make planning decisions.”
The meeting will be held in the Aqua/Aeris meeting rooms on the first floor of the building.
- The Honorable Thomas M. Middleton – Maryland Senate, Charles County
- The Honorable Galen R. Clagett – Maryland House of Delegates, Frederick County
Department Secretaries or Designees
- Environment – Dr. Robert Summers, Director, Water Management Administration
- Health and Mental Hygiene – Alan Brench, Chief, Division of Food Control
- Agriculture – Louise Lawrence, Chief, Office of Resource Conservation
- Natural Resources – Dr. Emery Cleaves, Director, Maryland Geological Survey
- Planning – The Honorable Audrey E. Scott or designee
- Dr. Russell Brinsfield – Wye Research and Education Center
- David A. C. Carroll – Baltimore County Environmental Protection and Resource Management
- Walter Finster – Allegany County Department of Environmental Health
- James Gerhart – U.S. Geological Survey
- Roy E. Hancock – Charles County Planning and Growth Management
- George O. Hanson – Chesapeake Ranch Water Company
- Dr. Anwarul Huq – University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute
- Patricia A. McCants – College Park Public Works Department
- Gary Mangum – Bell’s Nursery
- William P. Stack – Baltimore City Water Quality Management Section
- David D. R. Thomey – Maryland Aggregates Association
- Frank Wise – Prince George’s County Health Department
- C. Victoria Woodward, Esquire – Safe Waterways in Maryland