BALTIMORE, MD (January 24, 2003) – In accordance with federal regulations, the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) is beginning the triennial review of water quality standards. As part of the review process, the department will hold several public informational meetings to allow public comment on a preliminary list of issues that the department has determined a need to review. In addition, all aspects of the water quality standards are subject to review and MDE welcomes public comment on additional issues for review.
As required by federal regulation, every three years each state must review, with public participation, its water quality standards. The water quality standards consist of designated uses for each water body, criteria to support those uses and an anti-degradation policy. Meeting times and locations are as follows:
- Cambridge Library, 303 Gay St., Cambridge, MD, (410) 228-7331. Date: January 28, 2003. Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Charles County Government Building, Auditorium, 200 Baltimore St., LaPlata, MD. (301) 932-3440. Date: January 29, 2003. Time: 10:30 a.m.
- The Council Chambers, The Municipal Center, 4500 Knox Road, College Park, MD. (301) 864-8666. Date: January 31, 2003. Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Washington County Office Building, 100 W. Washington St, 2nd Floor, Room 227, Hagerstown, MD. (240) 313-2210. Date February 5, 2003. Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Maryland Department of the Environment, Montgomery Park Business Center, 1800 Washington Blvd., 1st Floor, Aeris Room, Baltimore, MD, (410) 537-3572. Date: February 6, 2003. Time 5:30 p.m.
The specific issues to be discussed at the meeting are available on MDE’s website.
This press release has been edited after publication for formatting issues.