Aboveground Storage Tanks and Permits

The Oil Control Program (OCP) has highly trained staff to help owners and operators ensure that their aboveground storage tank (AST) systems are in compliance with State regulations through the review of permit applications and associated documents, the review of work plans for AST installations and removals, and site inspections.

All regulated ASTs are required to have proper venting and at least monthly visual inspections.  Additional requirements for regulated ASTs can be found in COMAR, 26.10.17, and 26.10.18.

AST system fact sheets and other guidance documents can be found here.

Application forms for all permits issued by the OCP as well as AST System Registration forms can be found on the Land Permits page.

AST Registration

Facilities with more than 2,500 gallons of aboveground aggregate oil storage capacity are required to register all AST systems with OCP in accordance with COMAR

Additional information and associated forms are available on the Fact Sheets, Publications and Reports webpage.

Note that a facility that is required to receive an Oil Operations Permit (see below) does not also have to submit an AST Registration.

Oil Operations Permits

An owner, operator, or a person in charge of an oil storage facility or oil handling facility that meets one or more of the following conditions must apply for and obtain an Individual Oil Operations Permit (COMAR

  • An aboveground aggregate oil storage capacity of 10,000 gallons or greater.
  • A marina with an AST system that is part of a motor fuel dispensing facility.
  • An aboveground aggregate used oil storage capacity of 1,000 gallons or greater.
  • The delivery or transfer of oil -
    • ​Using a truck tank or transport with a cargo tank capacity of 500 gallons or greater, and
    • To or from any point within the State, including deliveries from out-of-State facilities.
  • A loading/unloading rack or transfer area used in the transfer of oil to or from a truck tank, transport, or tank car (i.e., rail car).
  • An oil-contaminated soil facility.
  • The facility solidifies/stabilizes oil sludge, oil refuse, or oil mixed with other waste.
Individual Oil Operations Permit types:

  • Oil Storage, transfer, and delivery ("OPT") / ("OPV")
  • Delivery from outside the State (for companies with no facilities within Maryland) ("OPV")
  • Oil-contaminated soil storage and treatment ("OPS")
  • Solidification of oil sludge, refuse, and/or oil mixed with other wastes ("OPX")
These types of permits do not have a fee.

NPDES Permit Types

  • NPDES General Discharge Permits:
    • ​​Discharge of treated oil contaminated groundwater to surface or ground waters of the State ("OGR")
    • Discharge of storm water and hydrostatic test water from oil terminals to surface or ground waters of the State ("OGT")

There is a one-time application fee of $120.00 to be paid with the Notice of Intent submission.

  • NPDES Individual Discharge Permits:
    • ​Discharge of storm water and hydrostatic test water from large oil terminals to surface or ground waters of the State ("ODS")

There is an application fee calculated based on the facility specifics.

Bulk Oil Imports

For companies that import bulk oil products into Maryland, please visit the Oil Transportation Licenses and Permits page for more details.

For Further Information

Oil Control Program

(410) 537-3442; (800) 633-6101 x3442

To Report Oil Spills Call (Available 24 hours a day)


Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information