The Department seeks to be transparent and accessible with information pertaining to the mission to protect and restore the environment for the health and well being of all Marylanders by providing the public with easy to use and searchable platforms of MDE’s Permit and Compliance Assurance data with built in capabilities to view or download available records or documents related to:
- Citizen Complaints received and responded to by MDE.
- Compliance Inspections (full or partial compliance evaluations) conducted by MDE of a regulated entity.
- Violations, akin, instances of “informal” enforcement action, whereby MDE alleges, and provides written “notice” to an entity, that minor transgressions or major infractions were documented and need to be corrected in a specified period of time.
- Instances of “formal” enforcement action, (whether Judicial-Civil/Administrative or Non-Judicial), whereby an entity has been ordered or has consented to specific terms in a binding settlement agreement, executed by MDE to appropriately hold them accountable and effectively return and keep the site in compliance.
- Permits issued by MDE to an entity, including those that have expired or have been Administratively (temporarily) extended and under review /pending reissuance.
- Sewage Overflows - reported releases of raw or partially treated sewage from a dedicated sanitary sewer pipes (SSO) or from pipes that combined storm water and sewage together (CSO) that are connected to a regulated waste water treatment plant(WWTP) or system.
MD law protects documents that contain personal and confidential business information from being released to the public automatically. Furthermore, some documents, dependent on the issuance date, may not have been uploaded to our database before Open-MDE was constructed. These documents may be provided upon submission of a MDE Public Information Request
To learn more about MDE’s Compliance Assurance responsibilities and activities, the data and records available on the Open-MDE site, and where to provide feedback or seek assistance, you may click HERE