Comprehensive Flood Management Grant Program

The Comprehensive Flood Management Grant Program (CFMGP) was created in 1976 to promote the development of local flood management plans, fund studies of watersheds, and support capital projects for flood control and watershed management. This program provides grants to Maryland counties and municipalities after flood events to implement flood control projects, and for acquisition of flood-damaged owner-occupied dwellings. Elevations and relocations of homes are also eligible for funding.  Acquired land is converted to open space in perpetuity.

This program coordinates closely with the Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA).  MEMA is the lead agency to request federal funds through Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), while Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) is the lead for CFMGP, which is a State grant program. The Federal Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) may fund up to 75% of the cost of flood mitigation projects. The remaining 25% of the cost can be split between the State CFMGP and the local governments, each paying 50% of the non-federal share, or 12.5% local and 12.5% State. Since its inception, the CFMGP funded a variety of flood mitigation projects including the acquisition of over 400 flood-prone properties. These projects are typically cost shared with local governments and federal agencies.

When federal funds do not participate in the cost of a project, the CFMGP may fund up to 75% of the cost of the project and the local share would be 25%. For example:

Project A costs $100,000 for acquisition of two repetitively flood-damaged homes that lie within the 100 year floodplain. The Federal Emergency Management Agency provides a grant of $75,000 (75%). The local government must cover the remaining $25,000 (25%). The local government applies to MDE and receives a grant from the CFMGP for $12,500, which is one-half of the local share, or 12.5% of the total project cost.

Project B also costs $100,000 for acquisition of two repetitively flood-damaged homes that lie within the 100-year floodplain. No federal funds are available to assist in funding the project. The local government applies to MDE and receives $75,000 (75%) of the total cost. The local government is then responsible for the remaining 25%, or $25,000.

Only County and municipal governments are eligible to receive grants from the CFMGP. The government agency must file an application requesting funding, and include evidence of its ability to fund the cost share amount.

New! During the 2019 Session of the Maryland General Assembly HB 428/SB 269 was passed, which requires at least $3 million in both fiscal year 2021 and fiscal year 2022, and for fiscal year 2023 at least $2 million be appropriated.  

MDE invites Counties and Municipalities to send applications for the 2021 fiscal year. Applications and supporting documents are due to MDE by August 1, 2019.  Notification that your project was selected will be made after the 2020 Maryland General Assembly approves the State’s capital budget. Awards will be made after the Maryland Board of Public Works approval. 

FY21 CFMGP Application Form 

FY21 MDE CFMGP Grant Ranking Criteria​

Submit two (2) signed hard copies and one CD or flash drive of the complete application, attachments, all supporting documents, and provide a FIRMette created from FEMA’s Map Service Center website, https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home, a map from our outreach website, https://mdfloodmaps.net/, or a GIS map with the location of the project clearly identified. 

Return the completed hard copy application and supporting documents BY AUGUST 1, 2019 to:

Ms. Cheryl Reilly
Office of Budget and Infrastructure Financing
Maryland Department of the Environment
Montgomery Park Business Center
1800 Washington Boulevard, Room 5455
Baltimore MD  21230-1708

For more information, please contact Ms. Cheryl Reilly at cheryl.reilly@maryland.gov.