State Board of Well Drillers
The Board was established under Title 13 of the Environment Article, Sections 13-101 through 13-602 in the Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Issue and renew licenses to applicants who meet the requirements of the licensing law and regulations;
- Prepare and revise licensing regulations and Board policies and guidelines; and,
- Investigate allegations of misconduct by license holders and to take enforcement action against a license holder who is found to have violated the provisions of the licensing law and regulation. The enforcement action that could be taken includes issuing a written reprimand, or suspending or revoking that individual's license.
The Board consists of 7 members who are appointed by the Governor with the advice of the Secretary of MDE and the advice and consent of the Maryland State Senate. Of the seven Board members:
- One shall be from the Department of the Environment;
- One shall be from the Department of Natural Resources;
- One shall be public member; and
- Four shall be licensed master well drillers who are actively practicing well drilling at the time of appointment and shall include:
- One from Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne's, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico, or Worcester County;
- One from Baltimore City or Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, or Montgomery County;
- One from Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Prince George's, or St. Mary's County; and
- One from Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, or Washington County
Members serve two-year terms. At the end of a term, a member appointed by the Governor continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies. A member appointed to fill out the term of another member serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
The Board is scheduled to meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month. Board meetings are generally held at the Maryland Department of the Environment. Meetings are scheduled to begin at 9:00 a.m. and usually last about six hours. The Board staff sends Board members written reminders of the date and time of the next meeting approximately two weeks before the meeting date. Public notice of each Board meeting appears in the Maryland Register approximately two weeks before the meeting date.
Licensing Examinations are now Available in Spanish
The Board of Well Driller licensing examinations are now available in Spanish. Please indicate you would like the Spanish version when you submit your payment and application to take the exam. Notice must be provided to the Board at least two weeks prior to the examination date. Please call the Board staff (410)-537-4466 if you would like more information.
Apprentice Well Driller Exam Prep Course-October 12, 2016
October 12, 2016, MDE will be hosting an Apprentice Well Driller Exam Prep Course for those interested in becoming a licensed well driller through the state of Maryland. The course cost is $15 and will consist of 6-hours of Maryland well construction regulations; taught by John Boris -MDE.
This one-day course is designed to help prepare individuals take the written examination for the apprentice well driller license with the State Board of Well Drillers. Topics covered include design standards, well construction, well maintenance and rehabilitation, and well abandonment. Instruction will also include a complete overview of the regulations pertaining to water well construction regulations in the State of Maryland with emphasis being placed on the public and environmental health impacts of these regulations.
For more information please contact (410) 537-4466.