Air Quality Permits Program
This section contains information on air quality permits to construct and operate. Instructions and general guidance documents are available as well as downloadable forms. Permit forms are available in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
Targa Terminals, LLC. Permit to Construct for NON-CRUDE OIL PROJECT Issued
An Air Quality Permit to Construct was issued to Targa Terminals, LLC on May 26, 2015 to install equipment to allow Targa to off-load distillates, non- crude oils, and various grades of fuel oils from rail cars to load into tanker trucks, in addition to current marine vessel loading operations.
The Permit Summary Document can be found here.
The Permit to Construct conditions can be found here.
Redesignation of Nonattainment Areas to Attainment
On October 6, 2014 EPA published a Final Rule in the Federal Register approving the State of Maryland's request to redesignate the Maryland region of the Washington DC-MD-VA Nonattainment Area for the annual PM2.5 national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) to Attainment status. The DC area includes Charles, Frederick, Montgomery and Prince George's counties. The rule became effective November 5, 2014.
On December 16, 2014 EPA published a Final Rule in the Federal Register approving the State of Maryland's request to redesignate the Baltimore Maryland Non-attainment Area for the annual PM2.5 national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) to Attainment status. Per the notice, "EPA has determined that the Baltimore Area attained the standard and that it continues to attain the stadndared". The Baltimore area includes Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford and Howard counties. The rule became effective December 16, 2014.
On December 16, 2014 EPA published a Final Rule in the Federal Register approving the State of Maryland's request to redesignate the Maryland portion of the Martinsburg-Hagerstown, WV-MD Nonatainment Area for the annual PM2.5 national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) to Attainment status. Per the notice, "EPA has determined that the Martinsburg Area attained the standard and that it continues to attain the standard". In Maryland, the Martinsburg Area consists of Washington County. The rule became effective December 16, 2014.
The Air Quality Permit to Construct for Dominion Transmission Inc. Myersville 07/01/14 has been issued. The permit cover page (AMA-1) is here. The Permit Conditions are here. The Response to Comments Document is here.
Please Note: An Air Quality Permit to Construct application for DTI Myersville for a second compressor station to be located on the existing property will be the subject of an Informational Meeting on September 3, 2015. Details can be found under "Scheduled Informational Meetings and Hearings" below.
CPCN Waivers for New Electric Generation EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 16,2015
Effective February 16, 2015 the Public Service Commission (PSC) has adopted regulations that increase the threshold for a waiver for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) exemption for electric generators from greater than 1500 kilowatts to to greater than 2000 kilowatts (kw).
In accordance with the new PSC regulations, applicants proposing to install a new electric generator rated at 2000kw or less will no longer be required to obtain a CPCN waiver prior to obtaining an Air Quallity Permit to Construct from the Air and Radiation Management Administration.
Please note, the threshold for obtaining permits to construct for electric generators remains unchanged at 373kw or greater. Questions pertaining to this change may be directed to David Mummert, Chief, Technical Support, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 410-537-3230.
APPLICATIONS AND FORMS
Air Quality Permit Applications Subject to House Bill 95- Alternate Public Participation
House Bill 95- New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) Alternate Public Review Procedure for Certain Sources
House Bill 95, which took effect on October 1, 2013, establishes an alternate public review procedure for sources subject to public review only because they trigger EPA's New Source Performance Standards (NSPS). Examples include: engines that are not emergency generators, small combined heat and power facilities, peak shavers, and boilers less than 50 MMbtu/hr that are not covered under an Air Quality General Permit to Construct.
The Department will accept comments on these permit applications for three weeks from the date they are posted on this webpage. The comment period expiration dates will be included with the listing, as indicated below.
Please submit any comments or questions on the following permit applications to Shannon Heafey at email@example.com
S. H. Bell Company- The Maryland Department of the Environment, Air and Radiation Management Administration (ARMA) received a permit to construct application from S. H. Bell Company on March 27, 2015 for the installation of two lime transfer systems, each powered by one 66horsepower engine/generator and one fabric filter dust collector. The proposed installation will be located at 1200 East Patapsco Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21225. The comment period will expire on April 29, 2015.
Perdue Agribusiness LLC- The Maryland Department of the Environment, Air and Radiation Management Administration (ARMA) received a permit to construct application from Perdue Agribusiness LLC on March 30, 2015 for the installation of one boiler rated at 32.659 million BTU per hour, fired by natural gas with No. 2 fuel oil, or No. 6 oil as back-up fuels only when natural gas is interrupted. The proposed installation will be located at 6906 Zion Church Road, Salisbury MD 21802. The comment period will expire on April 30, 2015.
Easton Utilities- The Maryland Department of the Environment, Air and Radiation Management Administration (ARMA) received a permit to construct application from Easton Utilities on March 26, 2015 for the installation of one (1) 1000kW internal combustion engine burning landfill gas at the Talbot County Landfill. The proposed installation will be located at 7073 Barker's Landing Road, Easton MD, 21601. The comment period will expire on June 12, 2015.
Holcim (US) Inc.-
The Maryland Department of the Environment, Air and Radiation Management Administration (ARMA), received a permit to construct application from Holcim (US) Incorporated on August 5, 2015 for the installation of three (3) contingency open clinker storage piles at the existing cement manufacturing plant located at 1260 Security Road, Hagerstown, MD. The comment period will expire on September 8, 2015.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION OPPORTUNITIES
Air Quality Draft Permits to Construct and Title V/Part 70 Informational Meetings and Public Hearings
Certain types of installations all for public review, known as APA (Administrative Procedures Act) Permits. Please contact Shannon Heafey, Public Participation Coordinator, at 410-537-4433 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on these meetings and hearings, including inclement weather rescheduling, or to add your name to an Interested Parties List.
Scheduled Informational Meetings and Hearings:
- April 15, 2015 7:00PM. Informational Meeting for a permit to construct for Aggregate Industries for the installation of a recycled asphalt product (RAP) crushing, screening and fractionation plant. The plant will be located on their property at 5800 Sheriff Road, Capitol Heights, MD. The Informational Meeting will be held at the Prince George's Ballroom, 2411 Pinebrook Avenue, Landover MD 20785.
- May 21, 2015 6:00PM. Informational Meeting for a permit to construct for Barnabas Road Associates, LP for the installation of four crushers and one conveyor to be added to the existing plant located at 4763 Clifton Road, Temple Hills MD. The Informational Meeting will be held at Suitland High School's Library Media Center, 5200 Silver Hill Road, District Heights, MD 20747.
- July 16, 2015 7:00 PM. Informational Meeting for a permit to construct application for MCM Management Company for the installation of a slag handling operation which will consist of 2 400tph portable scalping plants, 2 200tph 2-deck screening plants, and 1 300tph crusher to be located at 1430 Sparrows Point Boulevard, Baltimore. The Informational Meeting will be held at the North Point-Edgemere Volunteer Fire Hall, 7500 North Point Boulevard in North Point, MD.
- August 26, 2015 7:00 PM. Informational Meeting for a permit to construct application submitted by Transcontinental Pipeline for the addition of one natural gas-fired combustion turbine rated at 30,000 HP and one natural gas-fired emergency generator rated at 1065 BHP to be located at their existing compressor station at 11910 Carroll Mill Road, Ellicott City, MD. The Informational Meeting will be held at the Miller Branch Library, 9421 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD.
- September 3, 2015 6:00 PM. Informational Meeting for a permit to construct application submitted by DTI Myersville for one natural gas compressor station to be located at their current site in Myersville, MD. The Informational Meeting will begin at 7:00 PM after a Poster Session at 6:00PM and will be held at the Myersville Volunteer Fire Department Hall, 301 Main Street, Myersville, MD 21773.
Final Determinations for APA Permits to Construct
|Name of Company
||Date of Permit Issuance|
|Old Castle Aberdeen d/b/a Anchor
|Blugrass Medford Quarry
|Walker Brothers Mining
|Naval Support Service Indianhead
|W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc. Appleton
|Daniel G. Schuster Concrete
|Mid Shore Cremation
|Dominion Transmission Inc. Myersville
|Lafarge Mid Atlantic Texas Quarry
|Lehigh Cement Company
|Lafarge Mid Atlantic Marriottsville
|HB Mellott Company
|Acrobat® Reader is required to view and print the PDF files. If you do not have it click on the icon to the right.