The Environmental Science Student Award and Internship recognizes high school juniors and seniors that have excelled in environmental science programs. Students who have demonstrated extraordinary leadership and participation in environmental projects in school or the community such as recycling drives, school beautification projects, stream or litter cleanups and other types of environmental projects are encouraged to apply. The Awardee will receive a paid summer internship at MDE. The two runners-up will each receive a monetary award. All three will receive a certificate acknowledging their achievement.
*Applications for this award are now being accepted, read below for more details.*
Criteria for Selection
- Applicant must be a junior or senior in high school;
- Applicant must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Applicant must have participated in at least one environmental project as a volunteer at school or in their community.
- Applicant must complete the MDE Environmental Science Student Award application form.
- Applicant must provide a copy of their Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 report card or transcript.
- Applicant must provide two recommendation letters from a teacher or advisor that reflects demonstrated leadership and achievements accomplished as a student in the environmental science program. One of the recommendation letters must be from a teacher in the school’s Science Department.
- Applicant must provide a 200-word (or more) essay regarding an environmental project that he/she participated in or developed.
- All materials must be received at MDE by April 3, 2017 - postmarks will NOT be accepted.
- For Best Consideration: Please include supporting documents along with the application; e.g. press clippings, letter of recognition, photographs, a short video about the project, and samples of documents produced or other background documentation. Supporting documents can be mailed, uploaded through Google Drive or Dropbox, or submitted via email along with the application. (Please note: MDE can only accept up to 8 MB per email.)
Please note: Application materials will not be returned.
About the Award
The Environmental Science Student Award honors three high school juniors or seniors who have made a positive and significant contribution to Maryland’s environment. The structure of the awards are as follows:
First Honors: Student will receive a paid internship (valued at $3,000) at MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Second Honors: Student will receive $500, courtesy of MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Honorable Mention: Student will receive $250, courtesy of MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Winners will be notified via email and the U.S. Postal Service. Presentation of the awards to be announced.
For More Information
Maryland Department of the Environment
Office of Human Resources
1800 Washington Blvd, 5th floor
Baltimore, MD 21230