The Environmental Science Student Award and Internship recognizes high school seniors that have excelled in environmental science programs. Students who have demonstrated extraordinary leadership and participation in environmental projects in school or the community such as recycling drives, school beautification projects, stream or litter cleanups and other types of environmental projects are encouraged to apply. The Awardee will receive a paid summer internship at MDE. The two runners-up will each receive a monetary award. All three will receive a certificate acknowledging their achievement.
*Applications for this award are now being accepted, read below for more details.*
Criteria for Selection
- Applicant must be a senior in high school – only 12th grade students are eligible;
- Applicant must have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher during the 12th grade school year;
- Applicant must have participated in at least one environmental project as a volunteer at school or in their community; and
- Applicant must be accepted into a two or four year college program for the upcoming school year.
- Applicant must complete the MDE Environmental Science Student Award application form.
- Applicant must provide a copy of their 12th grade Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 report card or transcript.
- Applicant must provide two recommendation letters from a teacher or advisor that reflects demonstrated leadership and achievements accomplished as a student in the environmental science program. One of the recommendation letters must be from a teacher in the school’s Science Department.
- Applicant must provide a 200-word (or more) essay regarding an environmental project that he/she participated in or developed.
- Applicant must submit a copy of a college acceptance letter from a two or four year college.
- All materials must be received at MDE by May 1 - postmarks will NOT be accepted.
- For Best Consideration: Please include supporting documents along with the application; e.g. press clippings, letter of recognition, photographs, a short video about the project, and samples of documents produced or other background documentation. Supporting documents can be mailed, uploaded through Google Drive or Dropbox, or submitted via email along with the application. (Please note: MDE can only accept up to 8 MB per email.)
Please note: Application materials will not be returned.
Note: When the Award deadline falls on a weekend, application packets must arrive by 5:00 p.m., next business day.
About the Award
The Environmental Science Student Award honors three high school seniors who have made a positive and significant contribution to Maryland’s environment. The structure of the awards are as follows:
First Honors: Student will receive a paid internship (valued at $3,000) at MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Second Honors: Student will receive $500 courtesy of MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Honorable Mention: Student will receive $250 courtesy of MDE and an Environmental Science Student Award certificate.
Winners will be notified via email and the U.S. Postal Service. Presentation of the awards to be announced.
For More Information
Maryland Department of the Environment
Office of Human Resources
1800 Washington Blvd, 5th floor
Baltimore, MD 21230